There is nothing better than sitting back on your couch or in your comfortable DX Racer with a cold one to game for a few hours, to watch some Twitch, or in the case of this upcoming week, spectate one the biggest video game conference in the world: the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). While the exhibition floor only opens on Tuesday and is only accessible by those in the Los Angeles area, we avid gamers around the globe can catch all the press conferences online this Sunday and Monday so we may have a sneak peek at what games we will be gaming in the days, weeks and months to come.
Twitter, Discord, all of the online world really will be alive with the news, buzz and commentary during each show. Personally I love a little bit of liquid courage to accompany me on my E3 journey.
So myself and Alice have designed some E3 Gamer Drinks for you to mix up with some Tom Cruise flair and to sip on while you enjoy the EA, Bethesda, Ubisoft, PC, Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo E3 live streams. We realize that most of these take place during the day, but as we say in Newfoundland, it’s 5pm somewhere in the world, right? So sit back, take a sip, and enjoy learning about all the games we will be playing in the near future and remember to always drink responsibly.
The Xbox Cocktail
Green is the color of money, envy and Xbox. This here concoction of flavors resembles the taste of a green Jolly Rancher packed with the punch of Red Bull’s Summer Edition Kiwi to keep you gaming into the wee hours of the morning.
- 2 ounces of Midori or another melon flavored liqueur
- 1 ounce of vodka
- 2 ounce of Red Bull Summer Edition Kiwi Twist
- Squeeze of lime
- Topped with lemonade
- This drink is designed to be in a lowball glass, so grab your favourite home for an Old Fashioned and fill it with ice.
- Pour in the Midori, vodka, and Red Bull
- Squeeze half a lime on top of the drink
- Pour lemonade to finish filling the glass
- Use a slice of lime to garnish
* If Red Bull Summer Edition Kiwi Twist is not available in our area or out of its run, you can use traditional Red Bull, it just won’t have the same fresh taste.
The PlayStation Spritzer
Booting up your Playstation, you are immediately greeted with the familiar startup sounds and inviting bright blue colours. This classy and delicious cocktail is meant to bring you some flash and class at the same time with a delicious marriage of Gatorade and champagne (sparkling wine will do just fine, spend your money on games!)
- A splash (can be a generous one if you prefer a sweeter drink or not) of pineapple juice
- ½ oz Curacao
- Blue Gatorade
- Champagne or sparkling wine
- Serve this in a martini or champagne flute glass and enjoy your night of sweet gaming with this light drink
- Add the pineapple juice to your martini glass, there will be no use for a shaker as there is champagne
- Gently pour your ½ oz of Curacao (I did add a bit more to really get a rich blue colour) and watch the mixture of the 2 liquids combine to a beautiful blue hue
- Add in some blue gatorade to add to the sweetness
- Continue filling until the champagne or sparkling wine fills your martini glass to your liking and go forth and game!
PC Master Race Sangria
The best gaming computers are really Frankenstein-like monsters of power that are painstakingly assembled by their mouse wielding masters. It’s only appropriate that the drink that we spawned is combination of flavors that are greater than the sum of its parts. So sit back and sip on this very dark sangria while you build your armies, pwn noobs and bring your clan all the glory.
- 1.5 ounces of red wine
- 1 ounce of Cranberry juice
- 1 ounce of Grape juice
- 1 ounce of Gin
- 1 ounce of Red Bull
- splash of Peach Schnapps
- This is a tall drink so grab a red solo cup, a highball glass or a mason jar. Fill that bad boy half full with ice.
- Poor in the red wine, cranberry juice, grape juice, gin and Red Bull.
- Add a splash of peach schnaps to add a little more fruity flavor. Apricot brandy would do the trick too.
- Garnish with a orange rind twist
The Nintendo Cocktail
Keeping with Nintendo’s playful and fun demeanor, we wanted to heavily play on their signature red that will have you reminiscing of Mario all the way to Pokemon Alpha Ruby. When we think Nintendo, we expect sweet, fun, playful and generous, and you will find all of these in this summer cocktail.
- ½ cup watermelon CRUSHED! If this is your favourite fruit then you can add an extra cup!
- 1 oz Soho Lychee Liqueur
- 2 oz Vodka
- Splash of pink lemonade
- Finish with cranberry juice (Avoid the cocktail cranberry juice as this does not aid in giving that saturated rupee red you are looking for)
Best served in a wider glass (such as a whiskey one as seen in the photo)
- Smash your watermelon pieces, freezing them for about an hour will help as well. It’s important not to render the watermelon pieces into a puree as you want the larger chunks to absorb the alcohol. Think of this like a sangria!
- In a cocktail shaker, add your lychee liqueur and your vodka and top with ice, shake generously.
- Pour contents into your glass with the watermelon, the watermelon will eventually start to float but do not worry!
- Add your splash of pink lemonade (This part can be completely optional! Depending on which kind of lemonade you purchase you can make it sweeter or a little more tart, I chose the sweeter route for this version)
- Top of with real cranberry juice (not cocktail cranberry!) and enjoy the sweet taste of fun!