September 17th marks the second edition of the Montreal Independent Games Festival (known as MIGF). Dawson College is taken over by indie game studios eager to share their creations, both ready to play and in progress. It’s a great time to check out what Montreal indie studios are up to, get inspired and play some great games.
Catherine and I both attended last year’s event and had a ball. This year, Girls on Games were graciously invited to be judges at the event, and what better category for us art lovers to scrutinize over than Artistic Direction!
We have assembled a crack team of art critics from the Girls on Games, each of us with a background in fine arts, design, and animation.
Leah Jewer, Co-Founder
- Masters of Fine Arts with a specialization in Graphic Design from Savannah College of Art and Design
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, major in Design Art, minor in Computation Arts from Concordia University
- Currently works as Special Projects Producer for iHeartRADIO
- Previously Senior Web Designer for ALDO Group
Catherine Smith-Desbiens, Co-Founder
- Bachelor of Arts, major in Graphic Design from l’Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Almost 10 years experience in the field of web design and front-end integration
- Currently Digital Designer at TAKEOFF Creative, an agency dedicated to the marketing needs of video game studios
Stephanie Alice Lawrence, Stream Team Member
- DEC in Illustration and Design from Dawson College
- Bachelor degree in 3D Animation and Visual Effects from NAD (National Animation and Design) specializing in concept art and matte painting
- 3 years experience working in the visual effects industry on several feature films
- Currently working as a Digital Matte Painter at Framestore and freelance illustrator
Bianca, Stream Team Member
- Bachelor’s degree in Film Animation from Concordia University
- Diploma in 3D Animation, Modeling and Design from CDI College
- One and half years experience in the video game industry and over 3 years as an animator
- Currently working as Gameplay Animator at a AAA studio
Interested in going? Here are all the deets:
Date and Time: September 17th 2016 from 10AM to 6PM
Location: Dawson College, 4011 Boulevard de Maisonneuve Ouest; Montreal Canada (Metro Atwater)
Entry Price: Free for everyone!
10AM: Doors open to the public.
5PM: Independent games award ceremony.
6PM: Doors close to the public.
See you there!